Condors and the Santa Barbara Zoo
The Zoo offered to become a member of the Condor Recovery effort in 1998 and the following year, the Zoo Board voted to approve, in concept, the idea of an exhibit featuring these highly endangered creatures. An official member of the Recovery Program since 2002, the Santa Barbara Zoo is proud to be one of a very few places on the planet to exhibit California condors.
- Find out what the Zoo has done and is currently doing to help the conservation of California condors.
- Nest Monitoring Program: Zoo volunteers and staff spent hours observing nesting wild condors at a remote refuge.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about California condors a conversation with Santa Barbara Zoo CEO Rich Block and the Zoo’s Assistant Director of Conservation and Research Estelle Sandhaus.
- A look inside the Zoo’s condor exhibit.
- Meet the Zoo’s condors and see how they are related to birds who were captured in the wild at the beginning of the Recovery Program.
Photo credit: Sheri Horiszny